Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mommy and Me



Cherished are the memories from my childhood of moments stolen
away with just one of my parents and I. No extravagance necessary. It could be a trip to the bank with my dad, followed by a McDonald's breakfast. Or maybe it was singing along to the gospel hymns playing in the tape deck of mom's car, as we drove to the supermarket on a Saturday.
The occasion mattered not, but the shear togetherness, coupled with the conversations we had during those times, etched values into my heart that have shaped who I am today.
Finding ways to provide such memories for my own children proves daunting. Life is going so fast, often seeming to spin out of control.
So when Kaleb Begin talking about "his favorite restaurant" every time we'd pass the local Cracker Barrel (despite the fact that he'd only eaten their once, over a year ago) I jumped at the chance.
We planned it as a celebration for ending the school year. After all, I have been astonished at the leaps and bounds in which he grew academically since September. He had earned a special treat, we both had. Seeing as how Kaleb spent the school year learning how to read and write over the wails and endless attention seeking of his twin brothers, it was only right that this special outing be reserved for him and him alone.

We ate, played, shopped, and took pictures. Most importantly though, we talked. It didn't matter what was said. It mattered that I was undistracted. Able to look into his eyes and truly listen as he described in great detail how the evil Dr. Octavius's vicious plan to take over the world was foiled by the amazing Spider-man.
I hope to have many more such days. Days where I can focus my undivided attention on each individual child. The demands of the world (and especially their brothers!) disappearing into the background so my entire universe can revolve around each boy, at least for a few precious moments in time.
The smile on his face in the picture above says it all, I am truly blessed above measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment