Thursday, July 30, 2009

Time for homework, time for books, time for teacher's TERRIFIED looks!

To say that homeschooling a rambunctious preschooler while caring for two breastfeeding infants last school year was difficult would be the understatement of the year. I honestly don't know how we managed, but for the grace of God.
As the time draws near for class bells to ring once again, my emotions rise and fall faster than that last roller coaster ride we hope to get in at Dutch Wonderland before summer ends. There are days when I feel the leading of the Holy Spirit filling me with ideas for lessons, crafts, and organization and feel as if I can hardly wait to begin.
Then there are days like today. Days when I realize that I am struggling to accomplish even half of my to do list even now during summer "break." I am wrought with the knowledge that as difficult as last school year was, this one promises to be harder. The twins are no longer satisfied with bouncy seats and baby swings. They want to do what big brother does. Exactly what big brother does. Everything big brother does. And though I plan to include them as much as possible, and even incorporate a separate class just for them, I know that Kaleb will need some undivided attention, and undivided attention is hard to come by in this house! Today was a day when the prospect of continuing to home school had me so overwhelmed that I was ready to quit before we even begin.
Then IT happened. I sat down to fill out the application for our curriculum, and had to include a letter explaining why I wanted to use this particular program. In detailing how that in public school Kaleb would have to repeat preschool because of his October birthday, I began to list some of what he'd accomplished last year.
He learned to read and write, basic addition and subtraction, patterns, calenders, telling time, U.S. Presidents, fire safety, seasons, weather, using the telephone, and completed a "good manners" course. Additionally, he completed several scientific experiments, bible study crafts, and art projects.
As I listed each accomplishment, my mind drifted back to the moment when I realized he'd "gotten it" about each subject. Some things took a little longer than others, but I always knew. I could take one look at the expression on his face and see when it had really set in.
I am so thankful for that time we had together. Having two newborns in the house is a lot of work. It is easy for an independent, then - three year old to get pushed to the side. I will forever be grateful for that nudging of the Heavenly Father, guiding us away from the ever enticing temptation to have sent him away to preschool.
Is it the Lord's will for kaleb to get all of his elementary education at home? For all of our boys throughout their academic careers? That is a question that can only be answered in time. We will continue to pray, and observe, access and reassess as time goes on, as we strive to obtain what is best for our family in the eyes of the one we will one day give account to.
This year, we will be homeschooling. It will not be easy. It will take patience, laughter, tears, and a lot of prayer. Count it all joy, I say!
In the meantime, there is still much summer "break" to be enjoyed. We have pool parties, vacation bible schools, theme parks, and play dates in the park still left on that seemingly never empty calender.
To watch my children frolic and play in the summer, to have the ability to stay home and teach them, to have opportunities many mothers do not, to have survived last school year with only a few gray hairs to speak of, Lord I am truly thankful. I have been blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment